Where is the life we have lost in living?

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Animal Planet


I leave for Krasnodar tomorrow to go camping at the Black Sea. It won't be nearly as much fun as LARPING or Live Action Role Play, but I'll pass the time by watching grass grow or something daring!
+
Yesterday I took off on a venture in southern Moscow to the Uzkow Estate, which is now happily a sanitarium. The giant stone manor on the hill was gorgeous, as were the surrounding gardens and ornamental lakes and suc, but it didn't really sit with me very well. The tall white trees and the 200 year old kookie monster house made the place pretty creepy, so I didn't poke around the hundred acre woods for long. But what made the whole trip especially creepy was not only the sanitarium, or the transvestite nature enthusiasts, or the LARPers larping, or the fact that the Uzkoe cathedral now houses some of Hitler's library, but the fact that exactly one year ago this month police arrested Alexander Pichuskin, a man later convicted of killing 62 individuals in this Uzkoe Estate forest. That's one individual for every square on the chessboard. Police could only prove 43 of the supposed 62 instances, so I watched where I stepped.  I went a dinosaur museum afterwards to get cheered up and reassured, because nothing reassures you more of the gift of life than real live dinosaur bones. Nuahh.
+
Pray that my nature siege next week is this exciting

1 comment:

Megs said...

Not sure if i loved "kookie monster" or the Winnie the Pooh reference more from this post. Miss you, man. *hugs*