Where is the life we have lost in living?

Monday, August 11, 2008

Raw Shark Text


The last great book I read was The Raw Shark Texts. I actually finished it over a month ago, before I sailed off overseas and it's still on my mind. The book was given to me by a very wise man, and I openly apologize for not giving it back yet. The Raw Shark Texts combines a dizzy set of interesting concepts that I immediatly found fascinating.
But it's also me, so you maybe find out on yo own.
+
The shark on the cover became a motif of Thought, a conceptual creature that lives and feeds off ideas. Eric Sanderson is introduced as a man who does not know who he is, much like the movie Memento. He finds himself suddenly diagnosed with memory loss due to a "dissociative fugue" brought on by the death of his lover Clio Ames in a boating accident while on holiday in Greece. With the help of a psychiatrist and a mysterious stream of letters written by the First Eric Sanderson, the Second Eric Sanderson is suddenly tossed into two worlds all at once and in classic heroic tragic fashion, he sets off on a conceptual and literal quest to find his lost love. But before he finds the love of his life, he must find his life first. Author Steven Hall throwns a circus of ideas at the reader in a rush and it's almost too overwhelming at times. Sharks, typography, parallel universes, unspace, and finally love all at once are hard to swallow.
But it's eventually worth it.
No doubt.

No comments: