Where is the life we have lost in living?

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Republicans


+

I used to be a conservative, and I watch these debates and I’m wondering, I don’t think I’ve changed, but it’s a little troubling sometimes when people are appealing to people’s fears and emotion rather than trying to get them to look over the horizon for a broader perspective.
-Jeb Bush, after a speech in Dallas last Thursday

Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers.
-R. Buckminster Fuller

I voted for that...and it was against the principles I believed in.
-Rick Santorum, responding to Romney during the Arizona Debate

Founded by anti-slavery activists, modernizers, ex-Whigs and ex-Free Soilers (progressives of that day) in 1854, the Republican Party quickly became the principal opposition to the dominant Democratic Party and the briefly popular Know Nothing Party.... The party's platform generally reflects American conservatism in the U.S. political spectrum. American conservatism of the Republican Party is not wholly based upon rejection of the political ideology of liberalism, as many principles of American conservatism are based upon classical liberalism. 
-Republican Party's Wikipedia

A country that has been now since 1963 relentlessly in the courts driving God out of public life shouldn’t be surprised at all the problems we have.
-Newt Gingrich

You know, I -- I've tried the moral argument. I've tried the constitutional argument on these issues. And they don't -- they don't go so well. But there -- there's an economic argument, as well. As a matter of fact, Al Qaida has had a plan to bog us down in the Middle East and bankrupt this country. That's exactly what they're doing. We've spent $4 trillion of debt in the last 10 years being bogged down in the Middle East. The neoconservatives who now want us to be in Syria, want us to go to Iran, have another war, and we don't have the money. We're already -- today gasoline hit $6 a gallon in Florida. And we don't have the money. So I don't believe I'm going to get the conversion on the moral and the constitutional arguments in the near future. But I'll tell you what, I'm going to win this argument for economic reasons. Just remember, when the Soviets left, they left not because we had to fight them. They left because they bankrupted their country and we better wake up, because that is what we're doing here. We're destroying our currency and we have a financial crisis on our hands.
-Ron Paul, in Arizona

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.
-Jay-Z, AMA speech

(when asked about the Republican debates) The only person I trust is Ron Paul.
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of the Black Swan, The Impact of the Highly Improbable

No comments: