Where is the life we have lost in living?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.....



+
        Yvonne: Where were you last night?
Rick: That's so long ago, I don't remember.
Yvonne: Will I see you tonight?
Rick: I never make plans that far ahead. 

+

+
Major Strasser: What is your nationality? 
Rick: I'm a drunkard. 
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world. [all laugh] "
+
Captain Renault: I've often speculated why you don't return to America. 
Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with a senator's wife? 
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.
Rick: It was a combination of all three. 



+

Ilsa Hello Sam
Sam: Hello Ms. Ilsa. Never expect to see you again.
Ilsa It's been a long time.
Sam: Yes ma'am. Lot of water under the bridge.
Ilsa Play some of the old songs, Sam.
Sam: Yes ma'am.
(Nervously begins to play a number.)
Ilsa Where is Rick?
Sam: (evading) I don't know, I ain't seen him all night.
Ilsa: When will he be back?
Sam: Not tonight no more. He ain't coming-uh, he went home.
Ilsa: Does he always leave so early?
Sam: Oh, he never... well...(desperately) He's got a girl up at the Blue Parrot, goes up there all the time. 
Ilsa: You used to be a much better liar, Sam.
Sam: Leave him alone Ms. Ilsa. You're bad luck to him.
Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum.....
[Sam begins playing]
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.
Sam: [singing] You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-...
Rick: [rushing up
] Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...

[Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano &; roll it away


+
Sam: Boss, ain't you going to bed? 
Rick: Not right now.
Sam: Ain't you planning on going to bed in the near future?
Rick: No.
Sam: You ever going to bed?
Rick: No!
Sam: Well, I ain't sleepy either. 

+
"Ilsa: Who is Rick?
Captain Renault: Mamoiselle, you are in Rick's! And Rick is...
Ilsa: Who is he?
Captain Renault: Well, Rick is the kind of man that... well, if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick. 
But what a fool I am talking to a beautiful woman about another man.
+
Rick: Don't you sometimes wonder if it's worth all this? I mean what you're fighting for.
Victor Laszlo: You might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die.
Rick: Well, what of it? It'll be out of its misery.
Victor Laszlo: You know how you sound, Mr. Blaine? 
Like a man who's trying to convince himself of something he doesn't believe in his heart. 


+
Has the world lost it's class?

No comments: