Where is the life we have lost in living?

Friday, July 25, 2008

Le Detail

Sometimes, it is a terrible thing to visualize the giant scope of life and whatnot because smaller details slip right by. Little details like sharing the Why I Am Here's and What Do I Even Do's somehow take second place to whatever impulse haunting me at the moment that I end up writing down. What about Russia? I live in a flat in North Moscow with three guys. Rustam, Max, and Anton all have great patience and are deep sleepers and, the essentials for surviving life with Trent. 
With 15 million people, Moscow can be a little overwhelming. About 17 years ago, the great political experiment of Communism ended in Russia, thus opening doors of culture and art never seen before in these parts. But an oil boom 6 years ago finally gave Russia a hint of identity in the art of Spending Money and Moscow is now the second wealthiest city in the world. That does me no good, so I just watch Moscow's social pubescence with a cheerful spirit. It's like middle school all over again. You can get eaten alive by all the screaming ARMANI VERSACE DULCE GABAGABANA. The exclusive clubs in the city don't even have a cover charge, it's all about appearance. Homeless men beg in suits and flip flops. The Armenian ghetto across the river is clock full of BMW's and Audi's. Our neighbor owns a McLaren. It's probably like this everywhere in the world, I'm just don't know anything but I'm learning. 

2 comments:

ambiguous said...

actually as surprising as this ma be to you...i must respectfully disagree. First, I truly question the level of wealth in Russia. the trappings of wealth arent always good indicators of a strong economy but often times a struggling one driven by overwhelming debt.
and i disagree about you knowing nothing. you know how to annoy, agitate, disappear, and listen to sage advice again (lol) and how to pick at least one good friend who accepts you for who you are- as deranged as that may be on his part lol-------i added international calling to russia on my phone plan and can call you - i will do so soon

j. rutledge said...

trent. you're awesome. when you come back...major in journalism. or english. or both. by the way...it's DOLCE & GABBANA (however from your post, I doubt you care how it's spelled!) KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. and take pictures. thanks.