Where is the life we have lost in living?

Friday, October 31, 2008

Kids

Friday ends my week on the job here at the International School here in Kampala. I'm just a simple teaching assistant helping out in the library and in PE, my two favorite classes in elementary school so it's a good fit. Early mornings but fast internet, cheap food, endless basketball, and something to look forward to every day. The three other bedrooms at the house save home I'm haunting are now all cleared out and empty, so things aren't as exciting as they used to be. But with a library now in my life, I'm getting my read fixxx so that's sweet like treats.
The International School has close to 500 students in grades PK--12 and hosts 53 different nationalities, so it's truly International. They also incorporate the IB curiculum, which is similar to AP but they find some common thread to link all the classes together. For example, the fifth graders played flag football in PE yesterday, but since they are studying systems of government in class, it was Anarchy Flag Football. We just gave them flags, belts, and a football and told them Have at it, No rules. It was hilarious. Fifth graders are just raw human nature. Boys made touchdowns 100 points, but only the girls made them -10. Its wild and I love going home tired every night. The school is glad they finally have someone who can best relate to seven year olds.
+
Bodas are the only way to travel here. It's the African peer of the Russian Gypsy taxi. Basically a strapping young vagrant on a motorcycle, who racially profiles customers and bought a driver's license instead of earning it. You get places fast, but you sometimes wonder if you'll ever see your final destination. I'm not just refering to the Boda's sincere concern for your welbeing. I responsibly slept in on Wednesday and my ride flat out left me. I was stuck to fend for myself and I asked a Boda for a lift. Fifteen minutes later, some geezer straight hit me in the head with a broom handle. It done knocked me off the boda onto a 8 AM traffic bumper and last night's rain puddle. I"m laying on the ground and this old man is standing over me going for the knockout shot with his Moses staff and I'm just like "Another day in the life...." I kicked his arm, grabbed my backpack, and hopped back on my astonished Boda driver, who now feared for his life since some Most Wanted fugative was riding behind. He just drove faster to get me off and out of his sight. I needed ice and had a headache all morning. Let's be frank. I love something completely different but I have no idea why Pops took a swat at me Wednesday morning.
+
I just finished my first college application.
Mastodon has a new album coming out.
Coachella rumors are in full swing.
(Strokes Bowie Misfits Outkast Killers Zeppelin)
+
The Stooges-Down On The Street

No comments: