Where is the life we have lost in living?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Spooky

There is a bottom to everything, even the spooky mysteries of the world. In Russia, the whole notion of the Mafia's subtle meddlings in politics and such fascinated the living daylights out of me. I wanted to learn as much as possible without getting my hands dirty. My efforts eventually paid off. I didn't meet the grand Kossak Wizard of Oz, but did in fact talk to someone actually in the Mafia. Creepy indeed.
Not as creepy as the Satanist I met out and about but that's a B*Side tale for later.
+
My mind trumps religion and nature over politics though, and nothing is better than Africa if you're looking for reason escaping organic conundrums. Yikes! They are just about everywhere, from the last dinosaur allegedly in the Congo to a giant snake that lives off cow sacrifices in a lake tucked away in South Africa to the ever popular witchcraft. Witchcraft has somehow survived 200 years of colonization, missionaries, non profit organizations, and globalization to in turn dominate the papers recently here in Uganda. Obama no longer dominates the front headlines thank to a recent good natured incedent of Child Sacrifice that went down a few nights ago here in Kampala. I can't do the article justice, read it for yourself. I went for a walk through the market here in town yesterday and stumbled across the "herbal" alleyt that had all fashions of spears, pipes, animal skins, brown liquids, and jazz like so. How in the world can Africa demand any sort of legitimacy in the global political swing of things when the only obvious step taken toward progress are in the obvious wrong direction? I want a shirt that says Stop Child Sacrifice. Protect and entertain.
The rainy season has ended here and now it's hot every day.
Patti Smith might be the most creative person alive on the planet. I'm certain this is true.

No comments: