Where is the life we have lost in living?

Saturday, May 8, 2010

White Trash Class













+
Vietnam is a band that sounds exactly how they look. Dirt and cracked up Levis. Aloof, restless, nearly barefoot and looking to make something marvelous happen but happy with whatever the moment presents itself with. Nothing political, no game theory or hidden agenda in their sound at all. They flat out don't give a hoot. I saw them at the End in Nashville one hazy Valentine's Day quite a few years ago. They didn't grace the stage till nearly twelve and folks were getting drunk and restless, but Vietnam immediately put everyone there at ease with a smile and a sorry right before the first number. I've only ever seen babies lighten moods and faces like that Peace bringin' to that extent is absolutely admirable and an xtraordinary thing. That speaks leaps and volumes about a person, even more a band. That philosophy shines clear through their music as well. Their sound conjures up all sorts of utopian summer circumstances. No need to bother with unnecessarities when you're sprawled out in the back of a red 1965 Lincoln, one hand holding your hat and the other your beer, just like your other three bros as yall take off to Austin for a night in the city. They've definitely got some Texas in their freewheelin' happy rambling sound. They're out of Brooklyn now I believe which is surprising because they can choogle pretty well for city boys. Plus, their luscious rock locks are fucking rad as well. Summer and long hair hold each other's hand pretty sternly and I salute the boys that can pull it off with ease. I didn't cut my hair for almost twenty months and I tell you, it tangled up in the biggest snafu the likes of which curly hair's never seen. A crazy big snarl of sun bleached knots that sprang out every which way. It was truly an accomplishment but I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to long hair now thanks to it. At least the long hair that creeps on me. Not to say I don't admire it though. I hustled up a few of my favorite to parade at you so you seen where my love is coming from. The last two are this here band I'm loving at the moment. Cop these tracks from Vietnam, kick back and drift for a while, if just to take the edge of the exams looming large this next week. That's my dispositioning at least, simply because its a beautiful day. You feel me? Priorities priorities. 

No comments: