Where is the life we have lost in living?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Good Morning



+
"I had one resident that barely opened her eyes, she didn't respond...No matter what I tried, nothing worked. But when we got introduced to the iPods and the family told me the things that she liked, it was amazing. She started shaking her feet, moving her head. Her son was amazed...."

"When we'd first see Henry, innert, maybe depressed, unresponsive and almost unalive....Then he is given an iPod containing his favorite music.... and immediately he lights up. His face assumes expression, his eyes open wide, he starts to sing, to rock, to move his arms....."

"Once the music is taken away, the effect of this doesn't stop. When the headphones are taken off, Henry, normally mute and unable to answer the simplest yes or no questions, is quite voluble..."

"Do you like music?"
"I'm crazy about music. You play beautiful music. Beautiful sounds."
"Did you play music when you were young?"
"Yes, yes.. I went to big dances and things."

"So in some sense Henry is restored to himself. He has remembered who he is.... and he has acquired his identity again, through music....."

"Henry, what does music do to you?"
"It gives me the feeling of love. I figure right now the world needs to come into music...I feel the band of love, dreams. The Lord came to me and made me holy. I'm a holy man so he gave me these sounds...."






No comments: