Where is the life we have lost in living?

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ugan

Like the Constant Gardener, I'm absolutely in Africa. The gettin' there is always the fun part and it was certainly no without dramatics. I was to fly from Moscow to Belgium on Brussels Airlines, spend the night in Brussels, and then weather a lazy fast 12 hour fight to Entempe, Uganda.
Drama first reared it's pointy teeth in the Moscow airport. I had to take a taxi to the airport because my train was missed thanks to a fascist protest right in front of my subway station. When I got to the airport, the unexpected just got more colourful.
The luggage requirements flying to Africa is two bags weighting a max of 48 kgs. That's cool, because my two baskets of tricks weighed in nicely at a safe 40 kgs. That's been true for flights everywhere so far. But Belgium Airlines messes everything up by saying flying transeuro requires not 46 kgs of luggage, but 20 kgs. So I flew to Belgium with a sweater, a sweatshirt, and a North Face on, with jeans in my jacket pocket and a pair of shoes in the sleeve.
I didn't have to pay 280 euros though.
Surprisingly, I'm not getting to a computer very much here, so my blogspots aren't a frequent as usual. Never fear, I'm trying to make it happen. I'm four days into Africa and have already been to a reggae throwdown, seen a woman struck and perhaps killed by a car, taken a traditional African dance class, shaken hands with the president of Uganda, and attended the Ugandian National Prayer breakfast. Staying busy, but that's not half of it. I get to safari tomorrow.
Here goes nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY MAN!!!!)))

BE BRAVE!!! NO SURRENDER!!!!

WE ARE MISS YOU MAN!)))